Do you need a physiotherapist? SportsMed has a great team of Christchurch physios who are fully qualified and have experience in managing a wide range of injuries.
What does a physiotherapist do?
Physiotherapists are specifically trained in the assessment and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries or conditions that lead to pain and discomfort. The physiotherapy team at SportsMed have a specific focus on active rehabilitation from injury and we have a large onsite gymnasium to ensure our clients achieve optimal outcomes
What does that mean?
We are healthcare professionals who are trained to look at your body and find out what is really causing the problem and come up with a solution that will get you back to optimum health… quickly.
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy aims to improve your function if it has been impaired by injury, illness or wear and tear.
Why sports physiotherapy?
The physiotherapists within the Sportsmed team are clinical leaders in injuries and biomechanical issues associated with being active. Whether you are an elite level athlete or a weekend warrior, our physio team has specific knowledge of your chosen sport and pride ourselves in providing contemporary treatment, biomechanical analysis, and rehabilitation options
Do you offer physiotherapy for non-sports related patients?
Yes, in fact, the majority of our normal, day to day work involves working with people who have suffered workplace or home injuries. We also do a significant amount of post-operative rehabilitation, again utilising our on-site gymnasium.
What kind of Physio Services do you offer?
- Pre and Post-Op Rehabilitation
- Gym Info
- Real-Time Ultrasound
- Manual Therapy
- Acute Injury Management
- Back Care Program
- ACC Rehabilitation Contracts
- Work Site Assessments
- Manual Handling Education
- Muscle Balance Assessments
- Strapping / Kinesio Taping
- Running Technique
- Bike Set Up
- Women’s Health Physiotherapy
Can I get ACC on physiotherapy appointments?
Yes, If you have suffered an injury that involves a specific external force within certain timeframes you will be able to lodge an ACC claim with us. There is no need to see your GP first as physiotherapists can lodge ACC claims for you
How do I choose the right Physiotherapist for me?
How long are the physiotherapy appointments?
Our treatment time frames vary depending on the nature and complexity of your injury. In general, initial appointments are 30 minutes long and follow up appointments range from 20 to 40 minutes or longer if needed.
What happens at a physio appointment?
The physiotherapist will take a thorough history of your complaint and read any relevant referral material that you may bring along from perhaps your surgeon or GP. The physiotherapist will then complete a physical examination and formulate a plan of treatment in consultation with yourself.
What happens at a physio appointment?
- Your physiotherapist will take a detailed history and find out how your injury is affecting you.
- A thorough assessment of a range of motion, strength and biomechanical issues.
- Your physiotherapist will provide a working diagnosis, using our multidisciplinary approach if required.
We will explain this to you in a user-friendly way and answer any questions you might have.
- Set both long and short-term goals for your personal recovery plan.
- Create an appropriate plan of treatment to meet these goals and re-evaluate /update this regularly.
- If your recovery is not progressing as we would expect we will refer you on to an appropriate specialist
or seek a second opinion for you.
- Ensure appropriate follow up, especially in the area of injury prevention
- At all times your privacy will be respected, including full confidentiality of any information you provide to us.
Do I have to book in advance?
Just give SportsMed a call and usually, we should be able to offer you an appointment on the day. You can request a male or female therapist and also request a physio that has specific experience in a particular sport or area of the body i.e. post-operative shoulder rehabilitation.
Why Choose a SportsMed Physio?
How does that work?
How do I book a physiotherapist appointment?
Who can I see?
Meet our team of Christchurch Physios or find your physio here