Looking for a Dietitian or Nutritionist in Christchurch?
Our passionate and highly qualified Christchurch nutritionists are all about providing first class advice and support to help you reach your nutritional goals. Ien Hellemans and Jonny Rea, our nutrition and dietetic consultants, have extensive experience in nutrition for sport, health and chronic disease
What does a Dietitian/Nutritionist do?
Dietitians are clinically trained to assess the adequacy of your food intake in meeting your personal needs for optimal health and well being. They work with you to provide practical recommendations and personalized Meal Plans.
Why a sports nutritionist?
A sports nutritionist has additional postgraduate qualifications in the area of sport and exercise nutrition and assesses nutritional needs in relation to your exercise or training programme. Our nutritionists tailor Nutrition Plans to the specific needs of different training phases and specific competitions. Whether you are an elite level athlete or a weekend warrior, our nutrition team has specific knowledge of your chosen sport and we pride ourselves in providing cutting edge nutrition information to ensure you are able to be at your best.
Do you offer nutrition advice for non – sports related patients?
Yes, in fact much of our day to day work involves working with people who need nutritional advice for a range of health and lifestyle conditions.
What type of nutrition services do you provide?
- Training Nutrition
- Competition nutrition
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Injury rehabilitation
- Adolescent Nutrition
- Low energy availability
- Bone health
- Weight management
- Elevated cholesterol
- Digestive issues
- Body composition assessment
- Nutrition workshops and seminars
- School nutrition programmes
- Meal Planning for sports tournaments
- Supermarket tours
Can I get medical insurance cover on Nutrition Appointments?
Consultations can be claimed on comprehensive health insurance. Please check with your provider.
How long are the nutrition appointments?
Our appointment time frames do vary depending on the nature and complexity of your nutritional needs. However, in general, initial appointments are 45 minutes long and follow up appointments 20 minutes.
What happens at the appointment?
- You will be asked to complete a nutrition questionnaire and food diary prior to your appointment. This will form the basis for a comprehensive nutrition assessment together with any relevant information that you may bring along from perhaps your coach, trainer or GP.
- At the appointment, the dietitian will discuss your goals with you, as well as the best nutritional strategies to achieve your goals
- The dietitian will help you create an appropriate plan of action to meet your goals and will ensure appropriate follow up and support.
- At all times your privacy will be respected, including full confidentiality of any information you provide to us.
What should I wear to the appointment?
Please wear your normal clothing except when you require a body composition assessment where shorts and a singlet type top will be required.
Do I have to book in advance?
Just give SportsMed a call and they will make you an appointment.
How much do nutrition appointments cost?
|Follow up||20 Minutes||$60|
How do I book an appointment?
Give us a call now or head to our appointments page and fill in the form. Download The Client Nutrition Questionnaire and Food Diary as a PDF or as a Word Document, fill it out and return to Ien Hellemans/Jonny Rea via email before your first appointment so we can maximise our time together.